Friday, 6 February 2015

A piece of Russian Soul in the Old Town Gdańsk

 Last Friday my friend moved out. Although, sadly enough, it is one friend less in Gdańsk, she made me familiar with a place that - surprisingly - warmed up the winter air with some Slavic tunes.

It started in the usual way:

- Have you bought the gift for A.? - I heard the question.
- Yes. I answered. I hope it will suit her elegant sense of taste...
- Me too. It's not diamonds, but its a cute gift ...- she sighted. We compared A. to Charlotte from Sex in the City already many times, but we love her anyway.  - Where do we meet with A. actually? 
- Ee... not sure.... I think it was Piwna. Piwna - the Beer - Street 56/57. - I really struggled to recall it..


-  Don't talk to me streets. What's the name of the place? 

- Eee.. cafe ...bar ... club or pub. Maybe cafeteria? I do know! Something ridiculously ordinarily impossible to remember.... !

She googled. Of course. The OLD GDANSK Beer Pub & Cafe. Aaaaa....  now we were home.


It is on the right (not in the picture!!! :D)


Before A. joined us, that cosy place of The OLD GDANSK cafe filled up with some people. I like the arrangement there. Like many other places in the Old Market of Gdansk, it was styled to refer to the Hanzeatic history of the city - lots of wood, visible brick on the walls, illustrations of ships and, last but not least, beautiful piano in the corner. Because I have a thing for history, no wonder I liked it. It was one of those kind of places that you go with someone who is not twenty any more or when you wish to listen music live with glass of wine or where you can meet elderly Germans who sip their wine, coffee or beer in the Sunday morning and say with smile "so schööön" (so beautiful here... of course don't take me wrong here. I like German language a lot and know too many German people in all age to be able to tell you - they really love to sit somewhere and reflect about the  beauty of moment it is happening to them now. I have found it always cute and funny at the same moment!)

Another plus - the waiters were male, polite and handsome! Why should I complain?
We took some czech or russian beer and waited for A. To be honest, she is the master when it comes to finding interesting events at no or little price. Indeed. No entry fee. The live music of Julia  Vikman Band was quite a surprise for me. Although we knew next to nothing about it before, apart from that it is going to be live - we sat just in front of band and waited. Soon there were more people coming. Polish mixed with Russian in the air. A lamp lighted up in my head. Aha - Russian lyrical music. Great! I love it. 


[Link to their website here or directly www.juliavikman.com - there is a playlist to find as well].


I couldn't resist sketching. 


Colours added later.


These type of events always brings to my mind my Russian and Ukrainian friends. One of them - another sketching girl  - I have met just last month (Click); two others tried to teach me Russian language last year. Admittedly, they served me all the Russian and Ukrainian music that suits rather for parties than a chilled evening with friends. Nonetheless, Julia Vikman managed to touch the right strings in my soul.

I call it Slavic soul - that level of understanding between cultures that is shared within the people of Slavic origin. Inexpressible. You drink together, you talk, you start to feel the connection. With Ukrainians, with Russians, with Slovenians, with Serbs. It doesn't matter. If you are Slavic, you do.

With music of Julia Vikman you feel it even stronger as she presents her interpretations of both Polish and Russian songs. Really climatic.
Unexpectable intercultural meeting.




My phone battery was dead that evening, but A. made a joke of me and took a picture of the saxophonists and me - YES, EXCHANGING the contacts - nothing else.

Thanks guys for playing. It was a pleasure :)!




No comments:

Post a Comment